Saturday, July 7, 2007

Sight-seeing trip to Matsushima

Yesterday we went on a tour of Matsushima, a popular tourist spot known for its temples, shrines, and pine-tree covered islands.

Wikipedia says this about it, if you want to know a little more:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Matsushima

There was some pretty cool stuff here, check out my piczz:



This is what I had for lunch today. Japanese people place a huge emphasis on form, as you can plainly see. It was all extremely tasty too, and ended up being a lot of food.




Lots of statues all over the place...Carving them was apparently part of a priest's meditation




Some priests here live in these weird little houses carved into the hillside...pretty Lord of the Rings, huh?




Last, and most importantly, I found a new kind of my beloved chocolate mushrooms today at a 7-11. They are individually wrapped, have two kinds of chocolate, and the stem is some different crunchier type of cookie. I think this is their luxury chocolate mushroom or something. Either way, I shovelled them all down my gullet and called it good.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful food. What is the purple thing in the upper left that looks like tortellini? Send some of those mushrooms home and let us compare them with the Korean version available at Uwaji.

Finished with jetlag?

Lisa said...

YOUR beloved chocolate mushrooms?! You send some to me now!!!!!

Unknown said...

Mmmm. Is that what a Bento Box is supposed to look like?

Nate said...

No, bento boxes look pretty much the same...this was like a fancy super-bento which is actually some kind of traditional meal. All the little dishes are different colors to signify the different seasons, I think. I'll try to find out more....

Nate said...

Oh, and D- the purple thing was a sweet mochi-like substance, I think designed to look like either a flower or squid.

Unknown said...

It looks like you are eating well! I'm envious.